The closest I can come to your interior photographer is the 55mm lens on my Mamiya C330f. As Lex has said, this lens has never “distorted” parallel lines. When one observes a tall building, looking up at an angle for example, his eye sees the convergence just as camera lens does, however his brain works to “correct” this because it “knows” from experience that the building is not really falling backward. Then when he makes the picture and observes the same scene his brain tells him the lines should be parallel. But the flat image shows all the convergence vividly just as recorded. It is not really distortion.

Again as Lex has pointed out there are ways to eliminate or minimize convergence. With a 35mm camera your choices are limited. I have used Nikon’s perspective control lens a couple of times (borrowed) but I have found the best policy is to keep the film plane parallel (as Lex said). One way is to get as far from the offending subject as possible then enlarge to suit. I have also resorted to tilting the enlarger base (explained by bjorke), stopping down and exposing for (a long time).

The bottom line is that most lenses do not distort (much) - photographers sometimes do. Perspective control or loss of control is often referred to as distortion but it really is not if you think about it. It can produce bizarre images.