Just to clear up a little terminology here, what your seeing is really "light falloff" and not vignetting. As stated above vignetting is ths term usually reserved for something in the way blocking the light. Light falloff is just an optical problem where the light has trouble being uniformly distributed over the focal plane.

Paul B.