Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
Cerro Gordo E. of Keeler is an interesting haunt. It's all private though so you need to call Mike Patterson and ask permission to come on up. Keeler is worth a stroll too. Just depends on where your heart's at as to which direction you go. If you wind up in Tonopah, give me a call..
I see Cerro Gordo is off Hwy 136. I will be driving My Jeep 4WD down with rugged tires and camping gear, so I'll have no problems. I have lots of experience offroading. I have driven Hwy 190 and photographed rock acstracts along the roadside (a 'geometric explosion!' - does anyone know who I'm quoting?<g> Can you PM me how to contact Mike Patterson? If you saw my gallery (thanks for the kind words), up can see I love rock formations and I will go far out of my way to find them. Next year, I"m chartering a small yacht to take me to a remote island for 4 days of shooting odd rock formations, even, so a 4WD trip is no problem for me. Please PM me his contact info as this alone could 'make' the trip for me.

Just went and looked at your gallery page. Gorgeous stuff. You WILL enjoy the Tufa's! Go also to the 'sand tufa's' at Navy Beach. Different direction from a Y in the same road. Bring lots of film.
Yes, I have been to Mono Lake a few times but only for brief stay each time. I see the fall time is some of the best time to get nice skies, is that right? I hope I"m not too early for rain clouds, etc.

In DV make the hike into "Mosaic Canyon". There's a gorgeous 717 shot about 1/4 mile in where the canyon makes an S turn.
How do I find this Canyon? Is it on a topo map?