Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
Of the lenses mentioned so far, the Zeiss could be a good choice, although for less money an f2.5 Color-Skopar could be good. Being a wizened old photographer, I tend to select a 4-glass lens for better flare suppression - of all the lenses I own, the champ for flare suppression has to be a 360 mm f5.5 Tele-Xenar. Only 4 glasses and single coating, but it never flares even with the sun in the picture or more critically just outside the frame.
The C/V 50mm f:2.5 Color Skopar is 7 elements in 6 groups, not 4 as your note might be read to imply. If you read online user reports and comments, such as on the CVUG list (Cosina Voigtlander Users Group), the impression you'll get is that this is not one of the finest in the C/V lineup. The 50 f:1.5 Nokton gets much better reports. I haven't used the 50mm Color Skopar myself, so this is secondhand information, but compiled from a number of owners' and users' reports. I haven't read a single report saying the 50mm Color Skopar is a great lens. I do love my 75mm f:2.5 Color Skopar, which Erwin Puts claims is based on the Elcan (that's E. Leitz Canada) 75mm f:2.5. But I liked it even before I read that claim.

Also, I'm sure most people are aware that there are a few generations of 50mm Summicrons out there, not all of which perform exactly alike, so comments on one may not necessarily pertain to the other generations. I'm not enough of a collector or hardware nut to have memorized the exact details on this, but I'm sure you can find it online somewhere.

Lee