Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
The C/V 50mm f:2.5 Color Skopar is 7 elements in 6 groups, not 4 as your note might be read to imply. Lee
I must admit I did not check the specification of the f2.5 Color Skopar but made this comment based on my recollection of the very good 50 mm f2.8 Color Skopar on the Vito C I owned 35 years ago. C/V must have been having a bad day if they went to all the trouble of re-computing the lens from 4 elements to 7 to gain only 1/3 of a stop in maximum aperture with worse optical performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
Also, I'm sure most people are aware that there are a few generations of 50mm Summicrons out there, not all of which perform exactly alike, so comments on one may not necessarily pertain to the other generations. Lee
This is true. I did say that the lens in question was new a few years ago, in fact it was new in 1995 - I think (although I could be wrong) that this version is still the current one. In terms of choice of Summicrons, I think I like the first version best - I had one of these on a Leica IIIf which I used to use for press work. I recall good sharpness but without the fierce micro-contrast of the later lenses.