Hi,

I have just little darkroom experience as I've only borrowed a darkroom from time to time and used completly manual enlargers. I figured it was time to buy myself a darkroom at home and when a friend called me to ask if I was interested in an enlarger i said yes.

Anyways, I ended up with a Durst AC800 Elite enlarger with some 80 mm Rodenstock lens - it costed around 230 USD including transport to my home (will get in a day or two).

I have no idea if it is any good but it did look impressive. I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about this enlarger as I don't even have a manual for it (anyone who has a pdf-version?). Is it any good or just a clumsy featurebloated thing with bad optics and horrible light? I have always been interested in the Leitz Focomat IIc - I figured however that enlargers are probably like cameras where the optics is what really matters and that durst will be able to print something similar if i update the optics. Will I be able to produce similar high quality prints on this enlarger if I change the lens to a Leitz Focotar-II or a Schneider APO-Componon HM lens?

I think the enlarger has something called paper channels. What is that for?