Stand development involves using extremely dilute working solutions of a developer and developing for a very long time. Typically you would agitate for the fist minute of development, and no agitation at all after that.

If you are lucky you will get negatives that have full shadow develoment with highlights that are not blown out, regardless of the contrast of the original scene. In this sense stand development is a good choice for extremely contrasty scenes, and/or for situaitons where you were not able to mesure the contrast range.

The other interesting thing about stand development is that it can give extreme adjacency effect and negatives of great apparent sharpness. The effect is at times quite incredible.

Glycin based developers and Rodinal have been used a lot for stand development. Atgeet, for example, developed most o film this way with a glycin based develope. But strange as it might seem for a staining developer, Pyrocat-HD also works very well with this type of develoment. There is a fellow on photo.net who has made a couple of reports of his use of Pyrocat-HD with Across. As I recall he used a dilution of 2:2:500 and developed for 30 or 40 minutes.

I use stand develoment only for 35mm and roll film since these are the sizes that can benefit most from the boost in apparent sharpness. However, because it can be quirky at best I advise taking two or three shots of every important scene because you never know when one of the shots might be ruined because of bromide drag or a gratuitiouis bubble.