Grew up in Arkansas, where a friend gave me an old 620 rollfilm camera to play with and its been downhill from there!
I learned to do black & white on my own and later got a job at the local paper doing darkroom work in the evenings, eventually getting on the production staff first on the process camera then onto the press....not good for a career photographer but it paid better then. Now my job lies in doing finish work at a printshop bindery but I still burn quite a bit of film in my play time.
I finally have a dream darkroom down in the basement with an autopsy table salvaged from a hospital converted to a darkroom sink, a Beseler enlarger, drymount press, a very nice mat cutter and room to store everything.
I've still never had any formal training in photography, but since I'm a voracious reader of anything to do with my interests theres not much I haven't looked into to see what it's about.
I share my interest in photography with my girlfriend Dale, who I live with and we like to take forays into the mountains, beaches and where ever to burn film and play. Our favorite cameras are our Bronica SQA and SQAis. I also have a 4x5 monorail to play with and a handful of Canon EOS equipment for traveling light.
We used to go to camera clubs for the competition for a while and I have a drawer full of ribbons, no idea what each was for, and lately won 2nd place (they called it First Prize) in the Georgia Outdoors Nature Photography Contest. http://www.gpb.org/gptv/georgiaoutdoors/ph...est02/page3.php
That's so you can have a look.