Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
re: Focusing rangefinders vs. SLRs

That varies a lot with both types. I just checked a few of my cameras and lenses, and my Canonet QL17 rangefinder does have the shortest throw from closest to farthest focus of those I checked, but the next-shortest was a Zenitar 16mm SLR lens, then a Tamron 24mm SLR lens. The standard 50mm Industar 61L/D lens on a FED 5 rangefinder has roughly a 180-degree turn for full focus range, which is similar to that on my Fujica ST-801 SLR's 55mm standard lens.

The bottom line: If you like lenses with short (or long, for that matter) movement for the full focus range, check the lens; don't assume that you'll get what you want because the camera/lens is of a particular type.
I am not assuming anything - I just looked at the three rf's I have in the house- a canter beauty, a QL17 and a Bell&Howell Canonet 19. I have handled/shot/played with countless others - but I do not have them on hand. All have close to standard lenses (40mm - 50mm range) and all have no more than a third of a turn "lock to lock" with the QL 17 being about 1/4 of a turn. All the lenses in that focal length range I have (a Nikon, two Canons, one Helios and a Minolta) range from almost a full 360 deg to 3/4 of a turn. I would say its safe to venture a generalization like the one I put forth, since in most cases, it will be true. I never claimed it was a hard and fast rule - but something the average person will find in the average 35mm rf.

edit for ridiculous typos.