Quote Originally Posted by cvik
Rangefinders are mostly used for photographing people. People tend to think that the larger camera you have, the more proffesional it is. Rangefinders are typically small. atleast the ones for 135-format, so people are more relaxed in front of the camera and tend to pose less.
The other side of this is that in medium format, a rangefinder is (or at least can be) a LOT cheaper than an SLR or TLR. The RF mechanism is less expensive than another lens the same size as the main one, and a LOT cheaper than all the doodads that make an SLR work. It's also relatively easy to make a rangefinder camera fold, which is handy if it's 120 film and a 105 mm lens (the downside of folders is that bellows are labor intensive, which makes them costly in today's world -- hence the demise of the folder in the 1960s and 1970s). And if you're shooting 6x9 cm on 120, there aren't many choices for SLRs or even TLRs anyway. But there are always the thousands of old Moskvas and Super Ikontas, and then one shouldn't forget the Fuji "Texas Leica".

I use my Moskva-5 for everything I do in photography (except that it doesn't fit in a shirt pocket like my Minolta 16s do). Very good lens, as robust as a folder will ever be, fits in a pocket (well, the ones on cargo pants or heavy winter coats, anyway), and I can focus on my own feet with confidence they'll be sharp if I don't move the camera during exposure. I don't use the Moskva excluslively because I like variety, and sometimes want either a different negative format or a smaller, lighter camera.