I have been using graded paper for a very long time and have no interest in changing. My negatives are consistence and made to fit the paper and light source. Occasionally, to change the contrast or work with a negative that "missed" the following options are used.
Carbonate solution will increase contrast, 10% solution of Bromide will also increase contrast but decrease paper speed. A combination of the two can be used.
ANother method is to underexposure and then overdevelop which will raise the contrast about 1/2 grade.
A change of paper and developer will influence the final look along with the toner.
My students use RC papers, moving to fiber MC and then a few use graded paper. MC papers certainly have a place in the tool box and when graded paper (if) goes away I will be making a change but until then I am very happy with my choices for my personal work.