I haven't used TF-4 for the same reason. But there is an alternative that should be available in Europe. I can even get it here in Australia.

Agfa make FX-Universal, primarily for colour processing. But it is an excellent slightly alkaline fixer for B&W film and paper. Agfa has started labelling it with B&W dilutions here, but they don't promote it for this use with much energy. (The same could be said for their promotion of their other excellent B&W products, I think)

They suggest 1+6 for film, PE paper and baryta paper,
and 1+5 for replenisher. Following are edited emails relating to its use for B&W (but I disagree with the need or desirability of acid stop bath because acid will make the fixer deteriorate and smell of SO2, but maybe not much):
=========================================
Anders Ocklind (miramax@algonet.se) responded to a message you left in the B&W Photo - Film & Processing bboard:
Subject: Response to Formula for alkaline fixer
You can buy alkaline fixer readymixed: Agfa Universal Fix (for Color C-41, but it works well).
-----------------
Anders Ocklind (miramax@algonet.se) responded to a message you left in the B&W Photo - Film & Processing bboard:
Subject: Response to Formula for alkaline fixer
I use Agfa Universal Fix (C-41) 1+4 for B&W films and the same for B&W paper. Substitute 20% of the volume with fresh fixer after each filmdeveloping.
Paper:I use 2 bath method and measure the silvercontent with Kodak silverteststripes.
Anders O
------------------
Subject: FX Universal developer
To: jjss@bigpond.net.au
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:53:31 +1000
John
The FX Universal can be used for Black & White papers at the following dilution,
1 + 7. You will need to use a stop bath between the developer and the Fixer. The
fixing time is the same as you would normally use for a normal, not rapid,
fixing bath.
Regards
Trevor Prestwich
Applications Technology Manager
To: trevor.prestwich.tp@australia.agfa.com From: John Stockdale <jjss@bigpond.net.au> Subject: Re: FX Universal developer
------------------------
Dear Trevor,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. This is a very interesting product- the only competition is the TF-4 from Photographers Formulary (USA), but freight to Australia makes it completely unattractive price-wise. Agfa could promote FX-Universal better; alkaline fixers have some indispensable benefits.
Sorry to bother you again, but have you any info on its capacity for use with FB print material?
Kind regards...........John Stockdale (Melbourne)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: FX Universal developer
To: jjss@bigpond.net.au
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:23:33 +1000
John
We generally don't advetise the FX Universal for B & W as we have two other
fixers, MC & Agefix.
The FX Universal will do aproximately 1.5 sq m of Fibre based papers per litre.
Hope that you have success with it.
Regards
Trevor Prestwich
Applications Technology Manager
-----------------------------------------------------------------
And from a thread on rec.photo.darkroom, January 2003:
I asked the service at Agfa and got an aswer from Wolfgang Holz
> > (wolfgang.holz.wh@germany.agfa.com). The main details are:
> >
> > dilute Temp. time
> > Film 1+4 20-25C 6-8min
> > PE/RC-Paper 1+4 20-25C approx. 1min
> > Baryt-Paper 1+4 20-25C approx. 1-3min
> >
> > You have to use an acid stop bath to avoid dichroitic <sic> fog.
> >