My preference is minimalist with nothing that moves. If I go to a site and something is moving or animated I am gone. There are some good sites with well done Flash presentations that I would exclude from this. I guess I am referring to cheesy movements.

Don't give them too much, it is nice if the visitors want more. Also I think that it is important to have a target audience and design for it considering the purpose of the site.

When I visit photography sites I am looking for good photographs in terms of subject, composition and general appeal. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to judge print quality on the web. Small amounts of text are also very nice.

I also change mine up frequently to keep it fresh. If you subscribe to a periodical and it looks the same every month it will not be very exciting and attractive. Granted web sites are not periodicals but if return visitors see the same thing every time they will probably not return.

I don't know the exact statistics but I believe that on average a person stays on one web page for a very short amount of time (probably only seconds) so give them something attractive.

Good luck and let us know when you publish it.