Gerald, Kodak did indeed refer to the droplets as either oily droplets or resin beads. This is related to the form that the dispersed coupler in solvent takes in the coating, ie whether it is 'soft' or 'hard' in nature. But both terms can be used.

The problem I have with this is that Kodak has never moved to the Agfa method, as you state, but rather that all other companies have moved to the Kodak method.

The sulfonic and carboxylic acids of the couplers used in the Agfa method are called "Fischer Couplers" after the inventor, and the Kodak couplers are sometimes referred to as "Kodacolor Couplers". The Fischer Couplers interfere with the rheology of gelatin and prevent efficient coating. Kodakcolor couplers do not.

So, when the companies wishing to coat modern color films found this to be true, and wishing to make their coating the most efficient possible, they were forced to convert to the Kodak method either through license or by waiting until the patents expired.

I have coated both types of couplers and I must say that the rheology of Fischer Couplers is a royal pain. Sometimes, the gelatin will not even set up. I have had to help clean a coating machine once due to that very problem. I brought my own putty knife.

As for the opalescence, you may note that modern color products have far less than older films when wet. In fact, color paper has virtually none, whereas the original Type "C" paper of the 50s was very bad in this regard. When wet, that old color paper was just about only cyan in color. You could not see the other layers very well at all. A lot of progress has been made in this regard, and that has contributed to the improvements in grain and sharpness as well as opalescence.

Essentially, you dissolved the Fischer coupler in base + water, added to gelatin and then neutralized to get a suspension of coupler in gelatin as the free acid or a salt depending on prep. With Kodakcolor couplers, you dissoslve them in a solvent, mix with a liquid 'resin' and then mix that with gelatin. Then you run this through a colloid mill (an industrial blendor with adjustable particle size settings) with the unit set for the size particle you want. You end up with something that looks like milk or cream which you then can go on to coat.

In the case of the Kodacolor coupler, it is isolated from the silver halide and from the gelatin and so there is little interaction chemically. It makes better coatings.

More than you ever wanted to know. Right?

PE