I missed this thread entirely. I own the 120mm f4 CFE.

Quote Originally Posted by brent8927
Here are my concerns/questions; the maximum size I print is about 7x7 inches; will I really see better picture quality by using a dedicated macro lens?
I think if you mean in comparison to a lens with tubes. Now, I'm a hobbyist, so I don't see a difference. A couple of the commercial photogs I know that do macro use a macro bellows, tubes and all sorts of lenses. So, I am going to assume there is no difference in perceived quality for them Now a fine art photographer might have a different opinion.

Does the macro lens have better depth of field, or is it just the same as an 80mm lens with 40mm of extension?
That a good question. I don't know the answer to that one. I have a book called the Hasselblad Manual that has all these answers, I think. I would highly recommend it.

How about the depth of the photograph? The lens is supposed to be optimized for photographing flat objects right? So is there going to be a loss of depth in the photograph?
I shoot models all the time with this lens - great for beauty shots. Most of the models I shoot are, ...ahem..., not flat.

I realize the lens is expensive; but I've settled on this sort of "simple" style and will probably be sticking with it for a few years or so; however, I do also like to take snapshots and larger scale photographs (like landscapes) just for memories; my contact sheets are my photo albums.
Had I known more about the Hassey system back then, I would have bought the 120mm as my 'normal' lens just for the versatility. It's about normal plus it has the 'close up' features. In fact whenever I travel, I always take three lenses - my 40mm, my 180mm and my 120mm as my normal.

So, does anyone think I would be better off with the 120mm lens? Would the only benefit be that I don't have to take the lens off to take off the extension tube when I want to switch from focusing close to focusing at infinity?
I have heard of people subing in a 100mm with tubes. This seems very reasonable, as the 100mm is amuch better lens than the 80mm.

I find the actual act of photography to be much more enjoyable and "meditative" when I'm not worrying about switching equipment.
I'm the same way. I actually wish for a really nice Zeiss Zoom lens witha macro option. I know this thing will cost $10k and probably weight a couple kilos, but I still wish for it!

Regards, Art.