Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
Kodak has struggled for the same reason any other film company around the world has struggled. It has nothing to do with your 'global market'. It has everything to do with the abandonment of film by your local, regional, national and international marketplace. Kodak has been committed to film in spite of what they knew was a disappearing market for film. By all rights, they should have been 'going digital' years earlier. They made a late comittment to digital technology and are losing money because they are playing catch-up.

In case anybody is wondering... no I don't own a digital camera and do not plan on buying one. In fact, I'm building 8x10 cameras for myself, my son and a friend at the moment.

Kodak lost 1 billion mostly because of a 1 time $900 million accounting adjustment. Next quarter will be different. I'm not sure why you find it important to note that Kodak is an American company. Are you trying to say that being American is particularly bad? I personally don't see how the nationality of a company makes them exceptionally 'evil'.

You also need to understand that Kodak was successful because of what was a HUGE demand for film from the professional market. They created a very large manufacturing capacity to meet that need. The need is mostly gone and Kodak is NOT responsible for the current market conditions. In order for Kodak to survive in any form, they must shed themselves of expensive capital equipment that no longer contributes to their bottom line.

If you were running a company that had the capacity to produce 1,000,000 widgets and you knew that you'd only be able to sell 1,000 widgets, would you still produce the million? If you chose to produce only enough widgets to meet the needs of the market place, what would you do with the machines which were now permanently idle? Any manager in any part of the world would do as Kodak has had to do.

If you want to cast aspersions at somebody, go find the closest photojournalist in whatever country you're from and ask them why they are carrying around that digicam. While you are at it, look in the yellow pages for advertising agencys. Call each one and yell at the receptionist because the agency has 'gone digital'. It's the MARKET that is killing (American) Kodak, (English) Ilford and (German) Agfa. Who is the market? You and I!

Why don't we use our mental energy in a constructive way? Let's find a way as a community to make film cool again. If our efforts slow the shrinkage of the film market or (God forbid) stabilize it at its current level then maybe our beloved film won't disappear for good.

Schwinn, Thanks for this. It is, without a doubt, the most rational and well thought out response I've yet seen with regard to this matter.

I would only add that Kodak, Ilford, Agfa, Fuji and the like are corporations. They exist precisely to maximize profit - nothing more, nothing less. None of them "support" us.