Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
But if you cool things the "dew point" or the point at where condensation occurs becomes lower. Seems like a double edged sword. Too cool and you precipitate moisture out of the air onto the subject. Too dry and you dry out the subject.

Screw it, I'm only going to work with etchings on titanium surfaces stored in abandoned salt mines....

geez...talk to the conservators, okay?

for film & paper, you can't get too cool. If you could freeze your files you'd be in like Flint. the relative humidity though--has to be just right. there's a range of like 20-50% that's good. there always has to be some moisture in the film or it would dry up & crack. the room & the film would eventually even out--but this would be for some dedicated storage spot--not some room with cycling ambient temps & rh's like you described above.

you'd want to find a place in your house, that is the most stable. like an interior room away from the outside walls. away from windows & doors to the exterior. someplace buffered...if you get good cabinets, or boxes or whatever--you can create a "microclimate" almost--and the changes on the outside will take longer to effect the inside--as long as it stays closed. There are some products, like Artsorb--that are good for cycling rh's. This is an alternative to silica gel--it's "programmed" to keep the rh at a set point, usually 50%. It will release or trap moisture to maintain---comes in sheets and you can line cabinets with it etc. Or you could use paper materials and paper boxes over plastic--paper is better than plastic anyways for high temps & humidities...the thing to avoid, though, is high humidity. If you have color stuff and you have to run up the heat to keep the rh down, then your film will suffer. If the heat & humidity are too high, b&w rollfilm will suffer. The best bet is to shoot polyester based b&w sheet films....

yes--go to the mines......cool, dry, dark....or shoot large format b&w only, and you may stand a chance, if you can keep the humidity down to 65% or lower.

then again, nothing lasts forever. It's up to you to decide how long is long enough.

p.s.--most of this is tongue in cheek--I have similar problems at home in my real-world, personal "archive" as well.

Just do the best you can--
KT