Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
The camera I made is a 37.5mm and that length works pretty well in terms of vignetting so long as conditions are moderately bright. I imagine at 10-15mm you won't be able to cover very much of the film plane. The real problem with the 37 is finding appropriate subjects. You need to be practically on top of what youre shooting to fill any significant amount of the frame . I'll scan a couple of images when i return from "upstate".
Cheers
Based on the results of my GumPintoids, which are 16 mm projection distance and nicely cover a 60 mm strip of 35 mm film (though there is visible fall off at the ends), I'd say you can probably get a three to three and a half inch diameter circular image with a very soft fade around the edge from a carefully made pinhole with this projection distance; probably about the shortest that will cover 4x5 into the corners (on flat film) would be around 30 mm -- and I tell you what, it is unbelievable just how wide these cameras are, yet with a flat film, there is NO distortion; straight lines are still straight throughout the image.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than about 60 mm for 4x5; you practically have to stick the camera in someone's face to avoid shooting their feet, even at that projection distance.