Quote Originally Posted by Curt
Are these 120 or 620 cameras?
To the best of my knowledge, all Franka Solida Records take 120. Regardless, the seller states that it's a 120 camera, so if it take 620 then it could be returned.

I believe the two shutter speeds were 1/8 and 1/30, which should be usable outdoors with negative film...just match your film speed to the weather conditions. On sunny days you can shoot slower films (ISO 50) and on overcast days get out the faster film (125 or 400, depending on the light). This particular camera is probably limited to f/8, f/11, and f/16, but with ISO 50 film on a sunny day you could shoot 1/30 at f/16 and be close enough to get very usable negatives. On overcast days ISO 100 or 400 film will allow you to shoot with the provided shutter speeds often enough that I wouldn't worry about the lack of versatility.

Yes, it would be nice to have a shutter that went from 1 sec. to 1/400 sec., but people made extremely nice pictures with cameras like this one for a long time. Just remember that films tended to be slower in the 1950s than they are today, don't plan on shooting much ISO 400 outdoors, and this camera will be a joy. Being a little limited might actually help the craft side of your photography, as you'll have to work the image to the limitations of the camera. (I say this based on my experience when I first started using LF cameras...their limitations really helped me with all of my photography, even 35mm.)

Assuming the bellows are in good shape (which they tend to be on the German folders) and that the lens is in good condition, you got a very usable camera that will help you make great images. Best of luck to you...and don't give up on the camera due to the limitations it provides. Remember that people are making well-exposed negatives with Holgas, which have one shutter speed. You'll do just fine with the Franka.

Be well.
Dave