Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
LOL! I have smashed two plastic reels in frustration over the last 5 months trying to load 120 on plastic reels. (35mm is no problem) I've used the generic brands and the Patterson super system and they were both an equally horrific experience. In fact I have NEVER successfully loaded 120 onto a plastic reel without creasing it or damaging the film in some way. By comparison I successfully loaded a SS reel after practicing for 10 min. Can't tell you why everyone here has had opposite experiences but it is pretty funny to read these comments.
It's all about practice and what you're used to.

I have never used a Stainless Steel reel (never even seen one) but normally I have no problems loading a plastic reel.

As I said previously, the most important thing is to have dry hands.

During Winter I can load a reel in a changing bag before the bag gets too sweaty, but during spring and summer it's impossible. Outside humidity at 80-90% and temps around 90-100 do not make for happy 120 loading in a bag.

I do the loading in the darkroom with the bits in a tray. Anytime my hands get too hot & sweaty I just wave them around :-)

Graham.