I was looking into using my recently acquired Tech Pan rolls (thanks Mike K!), and it looks that most people who use it for artistic means go for low ISO, low-contrast developers, mostly to benefit from its extended red sensitivity.

Well, because they are rare to me, I'd rather use a more readily available film for standard pictorial applications, like Efke 25.

I found Hortense's petroglyphs photos a gorgeous counter-example to low-constrast development of high-contrast films (ok, they're made with Ilford Ortho, but they're high-contrast nevertheless), and it got me thinking about what kind of art you can make with high contrast.

So provided that TechPan's strength are maddening detail and superhuman contrast, how did you exploit those features in an artistic way? It doesn't have to be "just photography," i.e. exposed neg printed on paper. It could be an installation that uses projection of high-resolution slides, I don't know.

Even reproduction work can be quite intense. Looking again at Hortense's pictures, I can see that there is an aesthetics to develop there.

I was thinking that another interesting starting point could be macrophotography: first get as close as possible to something, capture it with a high-detail film, and enlarge it as much as possible on 11x14 or 16x20 paper to find some original shapes.

Oh, and let's start the Hortense fan club, you know, to make some competition with the Gandolfi fan club...