James,

For the first time purchaser, I recommend following William's recommendation to get the products from B+S in their starter kit. It'll all be mixed and ready for you to do. Yes, It'll cost a bit more in Canada, but the hassle saved is definately worth it.

This eliminates any concerns that you may have mixed the chemicals wrong, and it gets the chemicals to you in logical bottles, etc.

After you have made some decent prints, you can decide whether it's worth it to try to track down a supplier for the raw chemicals in CA. There used to be one up there but I don't know if they are still in business.

http://colba.net/~fotochem/

It looks like they may still be around...

If you don't have the ability to get an experienced pt/pd printer to show you the ropes, you will need to eliminate as many variables as possible in the process, and buying pre-made chemicals is one of those that I think should be eliminated if possible.

Other than that, the Arentz book, and the Sullivan & Weese book are really all you need to get going (plus forums like this, of course). You really only need one, but they are written in different styles, so one book may be better for you than the other for comprehension.

---Michael
---Michael