Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
I know about contrast masking with Ilfochrome, but how do you do color masking? Is this a way to fix the color crossover problems I see with a lot of my prints?

Do you know which films have the least color crossover problems with Ilfochrome?

I may be using the term color crossover incorrectly. What I am reffering to is the effect where the shadoes seems to require a different filter pack than the highlights. It seems that if I balance the midtones the highlights go towards cyan and the shadows go slightly red.
I don't know which films have the least problem with Ilfochrome.

You describe crossover perfectly, but there are two problems. Crossover is due to mismatches in the characteristic curves in each layer of the Ilfochrome, or a mismatch induced by their response to the dyes in the film. This can be corrected by masking. This is a form of contrast masking for a given layer only - the one that is crossing over.

Color masking is another type of masking which corrects when a color is not represented correctly and is built into color negative films. That is the orange color of a negative. In making a color mask for Ilfochromes, you prepare silver masks that correct for the errors in dye hue in the film and in the Ilfochrome.

So, these can be two separate requirements, or they can be combined depending on the nature and severity of your problem.

When you build a film and a paper for printing in color, you must closely match the spectral sensitivities of the papers to the dyes in the film. It is much more difficult to do for reversal films which have no color mask and are made for viewing by the human eye. Color negative materials are built for printing and the manufacturers who make the print papers can match the entire system up more easily. Therefore, there is normally better color and less crossover in a neg-pos system than in a pos-pos system.

Printing pos-pos compresses the scale and yields a 'dupey' picture and that is why it is not common to make pos-pos prints unless they are fixed up with a lot of masking added into the printing process. This includes contrast reduction and color correction masking.

PE