</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BobF @ Nov 27 2002, 11:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I just have to wonder how much difference it makes when printing B&W. &nbsp;I have several single coated 4x5 lenses that compete quite well with my multicoated lenses. </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
BobF,

as always: it depends. Generally, better coating delivers better contrast and better contrast delivers better resolution an sharpness. Of course, an enlarger lens does not have to deal with environmental light, but inner-lens-flare is an issue, too. This is totally independend of whether you are printing color or B&W. Whether you may profit from multi coating depends much on the enlargement factors used. And if you happen to make partial enlargements, you may need higher magnification factors with LF, too. Particularly, an enlarger lens for 35mm-format sould be multi coated.

The difference between a multi-coated and a single coated lens can be as much as one paper grade (at higher mag.-factors). This may even be an advantage, depending on the contrast of your negatives and because maximum sharpness is not always required. I&#39;ve got an old Componon from the 60s (most probably not coated at all) which sometimes helps me to print negatives that are a little too contrasty.