Quote Originally Posted by clay
Another thing I forgot to ask is if you mix in some oxalic acid with your ferric oxalate when you mix it into solution. It really helps promote clearing, plus speeds up your printing times by nearly a stop (My experience is that 4g oxalic/27g ferric oxalate/ in 100ml of water will make printing times about 60% of what they would be with ferric oxalate used alone)
Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm loosing a little sleep over this one. I got the kit from B&S, so I don't suppose there's oxalic acid in the bottle of ferric oxalate. Think I should purchase some and have it handy. Your question led me to investigate the New Platinum Book and I found that I can add EDTA Tetrasodium too. If yes, question is:

1. Is EDTA Tetrasodium similiar to the Edta Clearing Agent B&S sent me?

2. Is it okay now to add Edta to the already mix ferric Oxalate?

3. Does Oxalic acid do a better job than Edta added to Ferric Oxalate solution?

Next... Hope this isn't a dumb question, but does it make sense to alter the pH of the rinse/wash water by adding a little of "something" to it?

I've got a nice print made a few days ago and I'm 100% sure it hasn't been cleared sufficiently. The print border isn't masked. With all the soaking in pH positive rinse/water baths, will it retard clearing action if I did re-clearing, following the procedure as you described earlier?

Thanks again for being so helpful.