Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
I would consider a "fine" print to be what at the time you consider to be the best print you can produce from a negative. That is not to say at a later date you would not have a new interpretation of the negative.

A fine print I think also means one that is archival, and at least mounted in a way that presents your work the best possible way. I don't think it has to be over matted and framed, but I don't believe that a final print sitting in a box is a fine print.
I've got to confess that I can't quite understand this as a definition.

"Archival" ... well, OK. But ... just how "archival"? Twenty years, thirty... three months?.

I certainly think there is more to a "fine" print than the technical aspect. We can do all the technical things "right", Dmax, Dmin, all the sundry others, but would that make a poorly composed pile of dog crap into a "fine" print?

..."Best possible presentation,", "but not necessarily matted and framed... " I'm trying to visualize this ... can you give an example?

Now "sitting in a box" ... what does the location or surroundings have to do with the merit of the print itself? A print sent to a photography editor could very well arrive in a "presentation box" ... quite possibly "not the best presentation possible" ... but appropriate.... but still, I don't see any effect to the print itself.