Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
Yes, but it's very surprising when you don't have any idea what is inside the deep fried ball of meat
My collegues in Japan like to take people out for Yakitori (amongst other things). The big game is to let you eat something and then guess what it was. Comments like, "Most Americans don't like tendon" were common.

As I recall, Sushi is expensive--unless you get a Bento Box at the train station on your way home. Sabu Sabu is expensive, but there were other versions of hotpot that weren't so bad. I forget the name of the eel, but that is very nice.

Of course, if you are like many of my colleagues from the US and Europe, you may have already found the MacDonald's, the TGI Friday's...

Oh, and you will find that comments like, "My father was here in the 50's." or, "My grandfather was here in the 40's" will bring silence. At least, they did for me. It was a bit thoughtless on my part.

I have to say, my Japanese collegues were the best hosts I have ever seen. And, no, we aren't talking about the businessman entertainment that of rumor. Just a bunch of good family guys who took me in as a temporary member of the clan for a week.`

Matt