Having visited the Galapagos a couple of times my advice would be to go with the 35mm gear.
Take a smaller bag with you, and pack a 50, 28 and 200 mm or similar. The longest lens is very useful for some wildlife, and the 28 will be great for some of the landscapes.
A monopod or a light rtripod maybe useful. Waterproof case/bag while not indispensable is not required, I have sailed around the islands is very small boats and have never had any problem.
Take lots of color film and some BW if you prefer.

If you are lucky you may see some lava coming off in Fernandina Island. and black and white would be anatural choice for those lava flows.

In the islands you maybe really safe, if you can wander off and walk around the orange groves near San Cristobal you maybe surprised.

If you are going to visit Quito, be careful with pickpockets and thieves. Unfortunately safety has decreased a lot in the last years.

PM me if you want to talk

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
Jerold, Thanks again for sharing so much of your experience. I'm really vacillating on whether to go with a minimalist LF kit or a full blown 35mm kit (I have no MF gear). A few days ago, I was totally convinced that 35mm was the only practical option. Now, I'm swinging back to the 4x5 wood field. I think I could manage the LF kit in a Pelican case. Perhaps, the 1550 - I believe that is about the largest Pelican than can legally be carried on to a commercial flight these days.

My first instinct was to go with the LF gear...how many times have I looked back on a decision and said to myself "I should have trusted my instincts". I just need to gather up the intestinal fortitude to go for it!

(got my shots today)