Quote Originally Posted by "dnmilikan
I bought my chemicals from the same source. When the stock solutions are fresh I get basically no color in the tray solution. When they get a little age they will tend toward a pinkish/orange tan color in the tray. As film is developed the developer solution becomes more brown/black in my experience.
Don
Solution turned pink/tan after 1 hour in open air mixed 1:1:100

Quote Originally Posted by "dnmilikan
I did encounter a pink cast to a sheet of FP4 that I developed this morning. In that case the film was underexposed by a stop and one half and density was very thin. (I brush develop in tray). For the balance of the film that I developed at the same time the pink cast was not apparent. Pyrocat will give a very faint brownish stain to the low value densities (depending on silver density) and the stain effect becomes more pronounced as densities increase. However this almost needs to be measured by densitometer to fully appreciate the stain effect.
I think I need to try a more representitive subject matter as 70% of the neg is clear (black background). I will inspect the highlights undo my lupe now and see if I can see the stain better, and do some outside shots this weekend. Hopefully I can get to the darkroom nextweek to print.

Thanks to all who have taken time to respond

Phill