The new year is approaching and I've been in a reflective mood. Mostly, I've been looking back on my personal photography and considering how it has progressed. I'm actually pretty satisfied.

I used to shoot almost every day and I shot rolls of film and only printed a few frames or kept a couple of transparencies from each roll. I now go weeks at a time without exposing a single frame. When I do shoot, I only make a very few exposures and I print only what I consider the best. This, of course, means I get more "keepers".

At one time, I seldom used a normal lens. I went wide or long for everything. Looking at my photographs over the last couple of years, I can't find any that were done with anything longer than a normal lens. I don't remember the last time I used a telephoto but I still use wide angles and my most used lenses are now the normals, whatever the format.

I've always been a general photographer. I can't commit to any one genre. But it appears I have standardized on black and white as my medium for whatever genre. I haven't shot a color photograph since 2003. I know this because I still have the unprocessed film in the freezer with the date and subject written on the cassettes. Black and white was my first love in photography and I've come full circle in this regard.

I'm pretty happy with how things are going. How has your photography changed over time and are you satisfied with how things are progressing?