The primary advantage of kallitype over VDB is that it offers the potential for extensive contrast control, just as you have with Pt./Pd. By contrast, VDB has little or no contrast control. This is a very important consideration if you are working with in-camera negatives because if the negative is not developed to the exact contrast needed for VDB you will never be able to make an optimum print. If you plan to print with digital negatives, however, you could tailor the negative very easily to fit the process.

Both VDB and kallitype can be toned with gold, palladium or platinum. In toning the more noble metal replaces a high percentage of the silver, giving the print permanence on the order of regular Pt./Pd. prints.

VDB prints toned with either palladium or platinum are much warmer (browner) than kallitype prints, which tend to be a warm black.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher
Last year I tried my hand at cyanotypes and figured out how to do it at a basic level, but I never got too excited about the strident blue color so I let it drop. I now have some negatives that I managed to screw up in processing that are pretty darn contrasty and I am now thinking that this may be the time to think about alternate processes again. I think I want to stick to silver processes (I'm cheap and inexperienced!). What would be the best process to try out? I have a printing frame and light source already. It would be a bonus if I could use pyro developed negatives meant for silver also (probably a bit much to ask, I know!).

Thanks -- Mark