Quote Originally Posted by juan
They had to - you can't create art from anarchy.

I believe photography is the same. You have to learn enough about your camera and materials and their structure before you can create art. You can follow the rules or break the rules, but in breaking them, you create your own new rules.
juan
Jorge, I respect your point of view, but I am forced to disagree.

I think the really significant art DOES, in fact, come from a "rule-less" atmosphere=- "Anarchy", if you will. Not a situation where one carefully considers the "rules" and consciously decides to deviate from them, but from a clear, blank sheet of paper.

Three instances come to mind:

Gordon Parks - whose first experience with photography consisted of buying a second-hand camera loaded with film, photographing a few images - and then returning the camera to the shop where he bought it, because he did not know how to unload the film himself. Not even close to any pre-conceived "rules".
The camera shop owner unloaded, developed and printed the film - and invited Gordon to have his own show in a gallery associated with the shop.

Then - Linda Eastman (later, Linda McCartney - married to Paul, of the Beatles).
She attended an Extension Course class in photography, taught by a "great light", Anne Archer. After the first session, she, and the class, had an assignment - take some photographs and bring them to the next class. She borrowed a camera, photographed, and had the film processed at the local one-hour lab. When Archer saw these, she said, "There is nothing more I can teach you. You have the `eye'."
Linda went on to be a world recognized photographer ... with, as far as I know, no additional "training" ... and no more "rule deviation" than her first assignment examples.

Then - there was Jackson Pollock ... who first gained recognition by slopping paint from a carelessly opened paint can onto a canvas...

And on the other side of the coin ... I've been trying to think of examples where the artist was educated to the teeth in Photography and/ or art ... and became really significant. Not easy.

Hmmm ... Adams? - No, his education was in Music....