Tell me, when you do a conact sheet of your negs, do you do a test strip to determine the correct exposure? Probably not. You likely have a predetermined time, aperture, and enlarger head height, right? (If you don't, you should.)

When I make a typical 5x7 or 8x10 enlargement, if the negative exposure is normal, I know the ballpark time and aperture for my enlarger. The only variables are the density of the neg and the actual degree of enlargement, or the degree of cropping, if you will. Once you have determined this by writing down the pertinent data a few times, you can just refer to this info to get you close to the correct exposure. Rip up an 8x10 sheet into 2 inch squares and use one or at most 2 to fine tune. You can even determine whether the contrast grade you are printing with is appropriate.

But like I said before, everyone has an individual working style. If yours is to refer to a printing meter as opposed to going intuitively with a gut feeling, then by all means buy one of those Ilford printing meters. Some people can't (or rather think they can't) take a photograph without a light meter accurate to 1/10th of a stop that can switch from incident to reflected mode (to 1 dgree) with backlit LCD digital and analogue readouts! To each their own, and more power to them.

(Sometimes I wish I had me one of those printing meters, especially when making different sizes of the same negative.)