Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
I've used every brand of ortho film available. J&C is just fine and you get great results. The last batch I got of Arista 8x10 ortho film had some weird things go on with it. It had these funny bullseye marks all over the film. When this was happening, I was even in contact with Jorge, who can vouch for the problems at that time that I had. I do not know if it was just that batch or what. It is rebranded Ilford film, which is very good. I tend to think I just got a bad package.

If you watch on ebay you can sometimes get the Kodak ortho/graphic film. Since you need a flat interpositive for enlarged negs. the fogging of really out dated film is wonderful.

Bergger ortho film in my opinion is the best. It is just very expensive.

Before I get blasted for my opinions, I have done at last accounting over 800 interpositives and almost as many enlarged negs. I spent a lot of time refining the process to get very good results.
The best results I had with APHS was developing with W2D2.

First I made a interpositive on FP4 developed in HC110 and then enlarged onto APHS. Stuart Melvin of Santa Fe told me that there were potetially some problems with APHS depending on the source of manufacture of the film, specifically APHS made in the US had defects while the Japanese source film was okay.

I'm not sure if this is still true now but it may be soemthing to consider if you order from Arista. That is to ask for Japanese manufactured APHS.

Using Dektol with Ortho film is an old trick which can work quite well once you dial in the dilution and development times which isn't too hard.

Don Bryant