Quote Originally Posted by blansky
I often wonder why I don't take my camera and just walk down the street and photograph the storefronts and the cars and people on the streets. I love to look at the same shots that someone else took 50 years ago of the same thing.

It is so cool to pour over these old pictures of the way it used be in virtually any city. How they have grown and annexed the surrounding areas as well as how the downtown city centers have changed.

It is probably just nostalgia and I realize that you have to be a certain age to appreciate it but it certainly fascinates me. But then I spend my days watching Turner Classic Movies so it shows you where my head is at.

My dad left me a bunch of pictures of his life, and they too are amazing. He had a picture of his regiment in the Canadian Army during WWII. One of those panorama shots of hundreds of soldiers posed, somewhere in England before the D-Day landing. He said that some smart asses would run around behind the the grouping so that they would be on both sides of the photograph.

Michael
Michael,
I think that you have addressed something that for many of us is overlooked. Several months ago in Photovision Magazine an article visited this topic as well. In this article a gallery owner wrote that she would love to have more images made during the 40's and 50's simply because there was such a demand for images of that type. The only problem for you and I is that the importance of the images that we make today will not be realized during our lifetime. Perhaps that is a portion of the legacy that we can leave for those who follow.

My experience with my family was different in regard to family photographs (even snapshots). There simply weren't photographs made during the term of my childhood to adulthood. There were a fair number made during my grandparents era and also during the same period of my parents when they were young. Why my parents ignored this I do not know. When I picked up the camera as an adult I was fortunate to capture one of only two images in which my parents, my siblings, and I appear. The other image was made by a professional photographer using color materials and it has virtually faded into obscurity. My image was made with black and white and the print as well as the negative still exist in good condition.