Handling concentrated sulphuric acid (Reversal bleach)
I'm embarking on a journey accompanied by very hazardous chemicals, as I'm trying to make enlarged negs with the "Negatives by reversal" method found on unblinkingyeye.com.
Unfortunately I'm not a chemist.
I would like some general advice on handling the sulphuric acid (disposing etc) and the potassium dichromate.
This I know. Never add water to an acid. Always add the acid to the water. Wear protective clothing, ie gloves, glasses, apron and face mask. The best would be a screen that covers my whole face, but I don't have one. Make sure all chemicals are stored away from kids, in tightly capped, labeled containers. Never eat, drink of smoke while handling chemicals.
Example: if I have a measuring cylinder (is it the right expression?) and want to measure the 50 ml of sulphuric acid in that, does the cylinder need to be BONE dry? Will any moisture in the cylinder start a chemical reaction and "boil" the acid? How do I clean the cylinder after having added the acid slowly to the distilled water? I'm thinking a bucket with say 10 liters of water, and slowly gently lowering the cylinder into the bucket to wash of most of the acid, then picking it up and washing it carefully in the sink.
The sulphuric acid isn't harmful to the environment once diluted and/or neutralised, right? I mean, the small amounts of acid washed down the drain should not be a problem?
When the reversal bath is used and is to be stored before disposal at an appropriate place, is there something the bath / baths cannot come in contact with? Developer, fix, etc. I've heard one should add the clearing bath to the reversal bleach as these would be slightly neutralised by this. True?
I know Ole does not like sulphuric acid, but is it worse than NaOH (sodium hydroxide), which is readily available at department stores?
Thanks for all advice, and please don't tell me to stay away from all this because I'm not a chemist.