Pardon me, but the concentrated sulphuric acid does not give off any fumes - you've probably mistaken it for nitric or hydrochloric acid. In chemistry labs, the large dessication jars are filled with H2SO4 in their lower part, so it takes water from, say, filters being dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray
On the other hand, Sulphuric acid is usually sold in concentrated form, and then you have the fumes and the hydrophilia to cope with. Not a big deal if you treat it with respect, but I wouldn't have it anywhere that young kids can get at.