Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
Pardon me, but the concentrated sulphuric acid does not give off any fumes
It does if you put it in a wet beaker :-)

I agree that it is not as bad as other inorganic acids. However, take a deep sniff near an open beaker of the stuff and you'll know all about it. Do the same near even a saturated solution of NaOH and you won't notice a thing.

I have spent a fair bit of my working life dipping bits of silicon into sulphuric acid and bits of tungsten into 2M NaOH. I know which I prefer to be around.