It's all a matter of degree. It will probably fizzle and spatter a bit, but the quicker you get the water in there the better. I have rinsed graduates in a sink with sulphuric acid on them before. Since the amount is small, and you are wearing goggles and apron, you dont have much to worry about.

The classic case is when someone adds water to acid, it spatters all over and they drop the container they are working with out of suprise, creating a bigger mess.

Also in the unlikely event you get conc sulfuric on yourself, DO NOT wash it off. The exotherm will burn you, and when the acid is hot/diluted it will react with your skin more readily. remove contaminated clothing immediatly, and wipe as much of it off of your skin as possible. Then you can rinse with water.

Once I was working in a plant with a lithium amide salt dissolved in tetrahydrofuran. This stuff would spontaniously inflame. One of my thoughtful coworkers forgot to clear a hose and when I picked it up, a couple cups of this stuff went down the front of my pants.
I stripped down to my underwear and got under a safety shower in about two seconds. Not fun having to walk back to the locker room naked in the middle of the winter.

On another occasion one of my coworkers had dumped a barrel of caustic soda beads into a tank to neutralize something. The water was hot and when he tossed them in it boiled and he was soaked, the entire front of his body is covered with ugly scars now.

It is important to understand the properties of what you are working with and be prepared to deal with situations that come up.

Quote Originally Posted by timeUnit
Some posters said I could wash the graduate in running water. From what Jordan writes I think it sounds like a bad idea. Can anyone clear this up?