I have a couple of F3's. Both are equipped with the grid focusing screen and I run the DA-2, DW-3, DW-4 and High Eyepoint finders.

The waist level DW-3, is a surprising and cheaper unit for a lot of tight work. Works especially well in crowded situations with a 24mm and held above the head. The walls of the finder keep light off the focusing screen allowing one to see the general picture. Great for vertically challenged photographers!

The DA-2 sports finder is brilliant with a crash helmet on, for motorcycle and action use.

The DW-4 with it's focusing dioptre is perfection. For field close focusing work, I use this with a 2.8 - 55 Micro Nikkor and occasionally the PK-13 27.5mm coupled extension, or the PK-12 14mm coupled extension.

Possibly the best reason for getting the DW-4 is that you can get perfect focusing, regardless of the state of your eyesite.

With bellows on and the reduction of light hitting the focusing screen, I find I need the DW-4 or DW-3 to see focus, the High Eyepoint normal prism is extremely dark by comparison.

I also use it with my 105, 180 & 300mm lenses when shooting static subjects. Basically I use the camera with that finder on like a medium format, just takeing my time.

Mick.