If a commercial client comes to you and asks about a project they have in mind, what their looking for and are asking you to do is translate their vision photographically based on your experience and equipment. Because your accepting their confidence you have a responsibility to satisfy their needs even when it compromises your aesthetic viewpoint. Even when shooting with people for your own image inventions not only do you have to adjust to accommodate their comfort and understanding of the concept but also leave room to allow for their subliminal influence to assist your concept. So the truth is we really never have complete control over our personal either. Doing as you please is a great goal but never an absolute when dealing in portraiture. I agree with Michael that unless your part a very select few the gallery road is not the answer. I was talking with Greg Gorman a couple years ago (a portrait person who has shown in galleries all the world) his response, "it's just not profitable" When I showed my portfolio to David Fahey this year his comment to me was "tecknical competency is a given, only 1/2 of 1% exceeds this level of competency to dictate their own terms and be profitable. There are very high priced portrait photographers who go and live with their subjects in an effort to know them well enough to make the connection between themselves and their instuments to the subject. I would say this is compromise, a very effective compromise. They still call these images their own yet it took the efforts of all parties involved. There are some galleries that are willing to accept work hoping for the best( I've been in a lot of them) but I wonder if it's more for the personal gratification of the owner and artist than it is about profitability.