I finally got my darkroom up and running after about a 3wk disruption. Got a chance to begin experimenting with Pyrocat HD. my first test was to compare 35mm Delta 100 in XTOL 1-2 to Pyrocat in a JOBO and with pyrocat in a semi-stand development.

I don't have a densitometer so all my evaluations are based on using the same test subjects and strict contols on time and temp. All my temps are 70F, that is the ambient temp of my darkroom.

In the JOBO I used the standard 1-1-100 for pyrocat, 200ml total for 14 min. Stand development followed the details given by Michael Emanuel in the Unblinkingeye article on Pyrocat. 2-2-500, 68F, 30 second constant agitiation, then 2 inversions every 10 minutes for 45 min. I reduced the time to 42min to compensate for temp difference.

The JOBO pryocat showed the best results with film exposed at ei50. I also rate Delta at 50 for XTOL. Excellent highlight seperation, and a noticable improvement in contrast over the XTOL. Midtones and shadows were the same.

the real difference was in the semi-stand development. Here I was able to get a full ei of 100, and found ei 200 to be very acceptable. Highlights were outstanding, with very nice subtle variations that I have only got with Pyro in larger formats. Shadow seperation very good, and the tonality and smoothness is very similar to what I get with Rodinal and FP4 but without the grain. Extremely sharp at the same time. 11x14 comes out very well.

I am no expert at testing, and will next move on to some other 35mm films and then the real test against Pyro in sheet film. But I would highly recommend it.

As for the original question in this thread, I did not find any development artifacts from processing in the JOBO. I use a CPE2 with the reciprocating agitation at the slowest speed.