Who was it that said, "Thirty percent of the world's greatest photographs are nothing more than fortunate mistakes."?

I have a copy of "Edward Weston - Forms of Passion" ... one of the most highly prized books in my library.
Interesting information about Weston here .. his "being" and the way he influenced, and was influenced by photography.
In 1930 he produced a photograph that was critically acclaimed: "Egg Slicer, 1930", page 167. He wrote about that photograph in his "Daybooks, II, 197": ..."the egg slicer, one of my worst".
What does one do when the critics *love* your work ... and you consider it to be one of your worst?.

One of my greatest, if not *THE* greatest, interest in the *study* of photography is in the "being" (-so many labels could be applied .. "soul", "spirit" , "psyche ...) of the photographer. Weston was a vegetarian, an archer, ... he loved to dance - he "positively reveled in it" ... he regarded the body as the motive as well as the motifs of his work, "Its urgent rythms and attendant transformations providing a springboard."

... And the end result presented to us - is his work. An understanding of the underlying factors can enhance our understanding - and certainly will influence our interpretation of his work ... although, of all photographers that I am familiar with, his will "stand alone" more than any other.

Knowing that he was a vegetarian, for example, and "saw" female forms in his vegetables - leads me (us?) to a view of his work from a different vantage point...

I don't try to "copy" his work ... that is not possible ... but I am positive that somewhere inside - in my preconscious - it does have an influence.