</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Prime @ Oct 29 2002, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Once I started enlarging 4x5 negatives I had trouble using grain focusers because there wasn&#39;t much grain. &nbsp;Is there a technique or a special type of focuser that could make it easier? &nbsp;Thanks.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
The kind of focuser assist appropriate are those with a focusing screen and less the, albeit fashionable, microscope variety. Durst and Linhof had made some excellent units with built-in magnification and Paterson once upon a time had a low cost focuser with a large screen and no magnification. They tend--- even with films and formats where the grain is more clearly defined--- to be more accurate than the arial projection designs. The microscope units I think are appropriate for less than solid enlargers with glass-less negative carriers that by virtue of their construction are ill-suited to the use of focusing negatives.