Bob Carnie does this already in his lab. I don't know if uses this exact technology, but I do know he can print on traditional photographic paper from a digital file.

Maybe Bob can comment on it some more, as I'm not very well versed in this area.
Actually Art the process that Bob uses is quite different from the De Vere system. Well.. Bob has a P A R T N E R who uses a digital to analog system, hence the name of the lab : "Elevator Digital".
Bob is an analog printer himself though.
The system they use is called a Lamda machine and it is very sophisticated, takes up a lot more room, is a lot more expensive ( a lotalot) and provides a lot better results than the digital enlarger. The Lamda unit actually uses three Lasers for light source. All that De Vere unit does, is convert a digital file in the enlarger head to an image that can be projected through a standard enlarger lens. It is a slick way to make a decent quality print from a digital file (as decent as is possible - several comments above are relevant here) but as was noted, very expensive. There are cheaper ways of simply making a computer printed transparency to use as a neg, which, it seems to me, would yield about the same level of quality. I am guessing, because I have never used either one and have no desire to.
Since the archival qualities of a silver emulsion print are so much better than any other kind, I suppose that it is good that there is some way to document/preserve the work of any digital photographer who has work worth preserving. In the long run though, it does seem that the whole process becomes convoluted and unneccessarily expensive, not to mention un-accessable, compared to plain old fashioned wet darkroom craftsmanship and hard work.

Tim R