I received this from Jim:

"I think the main thing will be a historic mining theme. We have the Tonopah Historic Mining Park where we can photograph all of the historic structures, both inside and out. Then there is just the general old buildings and shacks about town. Then we also might enjoy trekking to Goldfield one day. There's a pristine desert scenic area about 35 miles W of town that no one knows about, and finally, it might be fun to have some evening sessions in my upstairs studio using the giant studio 9a camera and some of the soft focus lenses. This would only work for a smaller group but those with an interest in soft focus lenses would really get excited about the possibilities.

One other possibility for a smaller group would be a local machine shop and foundry that has been in biz here same family since 1903. The machine shop is vintage 1910 or so with original jack shaft / belt system in use. I don't want to overwhelm that guy though."

In addition to Jim's ideas we will plan informal discussions about technique and look at prints. Also as many of you know Jim has a unique affection for old optics - some of which may be for sale? (Keep cash and checkbook under lock in order to avoid serious temptation!!!)

Finally - if anyone is interested - I am planning to make a short presentation about what I consider absolute paramount in creative photography: "Understanding and capturing the essence of an image".

Jim is trying to get group rates at a motel in town, and there should be opportunity for camping as well!

Email me at

volquartz@volquartz.com to sign up.

Please write (with capital letters) in email heading: I DARE