So last night I tried using liquid light on a clay brain that I had created for one of my collabrative pieces. I followed all the instructions covered the brain with an oil-based polyurethane coating twice. I put the emulsion on twice as well then I made pieces of paper with the emulsion and held them at the same level the brain would be to get exposure time. Well after I got the accurate times and wrote them down I started exposing the different areas of the brain being sure to use light proof things to block the other areas of the brain. When I developed it the brain turned all black. So I scrubbed off the emulsion and tried again and ten seconds less than the previously used time. There was no diffrence in the exposure at all. So I tried once more and exposed for only five seconds which was half of the last exposure time I used. This time I had a visible image but only lightly. I have several other projects that I am using liquid light on in the future. Can anyone tell me why I had such a problem and how I can avoid it in the future. And why would a five second exposure be too light, but a ten second exposure be completely and totally black? Is liquid light just super sensitive. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I've used a liquid emulsion. Is there any way that the fact that the brain wasn't a smooth surface be part of the problem?

Thanks,
Erin