Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
I will not replace the bulbs where there is a need for the lamp to provide full output immediately (ie, the bathroom - when you stumble in there in the middle of the night, you need light NOW!), nor will I replace bulbs outdoors - CFLs don't start well when the ambient temperature is very cold.
If I'm stumbling into the bathroom in the dead of night, and it's dark, and my eyes are fully adapted, the dim, weak startup from a CFL is likely to be a) plenty of light, and b) more than my eyes really want anyway. About 2 white LEDs would be just right for that situation. The place I won't (based on experience) put CFLs is where they need to operate in very cold ambient temperatures. I used to have one in a back porch light, and when it was below freezing out, I might as well have had a candle in a Chinese paper lantern.

So, even though it's a major pain in the arse to replace the bulb in my carport light (disassemble the fixture, while standing on a ladder I don't own), it won't get a CFL, because when I want it, I want actual light, not a dim ghost of luminance...

My plan for a CF-BLB in a reflector is to put it as low as will evenly cover my prints, in order to give the shortest exposures. I figure for 8x10 that will probably be below eye level with the prints on the bathroom, er, darkroom counter. This whole plan might get sidetracked, however, if Cyanotype Rex turns out to be as easy as it's looking; that process is fast enough and UV-independent enough I might be able to expose it under my enlarger -- even to the point of enlarging onto it! If that goes, I won't need a UV light source any time real soon...