There are several ways to boost contrast as well as saturation in printing color negatives. I should state that I have NOT tried all of these personally I will start at the beginning:
1) Film Choice A). Use a film that is designed for high saturation
B) Use a transparency film and develop in C41. This will require some testing for film speed and for the ability of the film to provide good color with cross processing.

2). Lighting A) Taking photos just after..or during rain.. will have the dust out of the air and can give quite a boost to saturation
B) Choose high contrast lighting situations which will increase contrast more than saturation.
3) Use a polariser on the camera lens. If your are working with close ups you can also alter the light by having the light shine thru a polarising foil..either artificial or natural.
4) Push your film by increasing your development time to 5 minutes
5) Use the Anderson method of bleaching and redeveloping your negative. Each cycle will increase contrast and to an extent saturation.
6) Choose a more contrasty or saturated paper such as Endura Ultra
7). Give your print paper additional develoment to extend the contrast
8) Masking a). Contrast reduction:
Having done a combination of the obove you now may have reached a point where your negative will not fit the paper and you need to make a contrast reducing mask. If you use a white light after allowing for the orange mask color of the c41 film then all of the colors will receive contrast reduction. If you mask is deliberatly made so that that reds are emphasized then the reds can be made EXTREMELY saturated but the other colors will be subdued in saturation.
b) Contrast increasing mask To make a contrast increasing mask one either has to create a diapositive and then make a mask from the diapositive or you need a film that will produce a negative mask directly from a color negative. If you use white light after compensating for the orange mask of the film then all colors will be equally increased in contrast. If you wish to saturate a particular color such as red then the reds can be made EXtremely sarurated with other colors being subdued in color.

The steps listed above just begins to scratch the surface of what may be done. Actually, In terms of contrast and saturation Color does not need to take a back seat to B&W. It will, however be more challenging.