Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher
Thanks for all the replys. I believe I am going to try Kallitype prints at this point. Looking at Sandy's article on unblinkingeye together with Wynn White's VanDyke article, it looks like I'd probably be happy either way, though. I think I'll hold off on expensive toners until I get things dialed in a bit. I'll post my results when I get some (reasonable) prints.
Well, I lied...I ended up starting with VanDyke since it is a printing out process and I figured it would help me tune my digital negative. The attached print (the print is a lot more subtle and smooth than the scan) is about my third attempt and it is a decent print, but I hope to do better.....although I was amazingly excited when I saw the print in the fix.

I do have a couple of questions/comments.
When I made my negatives, I found that the curves published on the web gave a very low contrast print...seriously muddy. For this one, I simply inverted and used it. It is now a bit contrasty (I exposed for the highlights). I used BFK Rives paper and double coated. Is the contrast dependant on paper used?
The other question is about the whitened areas beyond the image area. Any idea what that is and how I can prevent it?

Thanks of the help -- Mark